Adolph Koeppel – In Memoriam
April 11, 1923 – March 14, 2009
Admitted to the New York State Bar in 1948.
New York University, School of Law (L.L.B. 1948, L.L.M. 1953)
Born in Brooklyn, New York and educated in New York City, founding partner Adolph Koeppel was a pioneer in the Real Estate Tax Certiorari and Condemnation Law field. A great humanitarian and patron of the arts, Mr. Koeppel was one of the early sponsors of the opera night at the Tilles Center at C.W. Post College. Mr. Koeppel, a decorated Veteran of World War II was also a well known fiscal philatelist; he wrote several books on the topic, one of which The Stamps of the Princely States of India, was selected as the winner of the Earl of Crawford Award.
Senior Deputy Nassau County Attorney in the Real Estate Tax Review Division (1962-1963); Village Attorney for the Incorporated Village of Lake Success (1968-1979); Hofstra Law School faculty member in the Real Estate Law, Advanced Practice Institute (1978-1986); Institute of Property Taxation (Tax Law Committee Chair: 1984-1986); Chairman of tax certiorari seminars at the Practicing Law Institute (1987-1992); Special tax assessment counsel to the City of Yonkers (1978-1982); Village of Port Chester (1978-1983) and the Town of Rye (1978-1983). Former Member of the Nassau County, Suffolk County, and New York State Bar Associations.
- “The Seagram Case” (May, 1964).
- “Real Estate Tax Review in Nassau County”, Nassau County Bar Journal (November, 1964).
- “Sample Condemnation Clauses for Various Leases”, New York State Bar Journal (August, 1969).
- “Inequality in Real Property Tax Review”, 19 Buffalo Law Review 565 (1970).
- “Property Tax Assessments: Contract Rent is Fair Market Rent, Or Is It?”, Real Estate Law Journal (1973).
- “Judicial Remedies for Property Tax Inequalities”, N.Y.U. Institute on State and Local Taxation (1982).
- “Challenging Ad Valorem Real Property Assessments in Florida”, The Florida Bar Journal (co author) (1983).
- “Computer Software and Sales Taxation”, Journal of State Taxation (co author) (1984).
- “Where Were You When the Contract Rent Fell Below Market?”, Journal of State Taxation (1986).
- “Discovering ‘Discovery’ in Real Property Tax Review”, Journal of State Taxation (1986).
- “The Illegal Residential Assessment Roll In Nassau County, New York”, 5 Hofstra Property Law Journal 139 (1992).